The Constitutional Court of Austria

content:

The Building

From 1946 to 2012, the Constitutional Court shared the baroque palais of the former Bohemian Court Chancellery on Judenplatz, built at the beginning of the 18th century, with the Administrative Court. Since August 2012, the Constitutional Court has been located at Freyung 8 in the first district of Vienna, in a building that was formerly occupied by a bank.

This prestigious building, well-known in Vienna as the location of the “Bank Austria Art Forum”, was designed by the architects Ernst Gotthilf and Alexander Neumann for an Austrian bank called “Österreichische Creditanstalt für Handel und Gewerbe” and erected between 1914 and 1921. It features elements of neo-classicism and imitates a Renaissance palace. The entrance is modelled on a Roman portico.

From the entrance to the Constitutional Court, an elegant staircase leads up to the first floor, where the rooms have been preserved in their original state and are now listed as a historical monument. The offices of the President and Vice-President of the Constitutional Court, as well as the main courtroom, in which the Constitutional Court holds its public hearings, are located on this floor. A meeting room for the members of the Constitutional Court is also accommodated there. The President’s regular press briefings take place in the foyer of the courtroom.

The judges, the clerks of the Court and the administrative staff have their offices on the upper floors. The library and a conference centre equipped for conferences and public functions are located on the fifth floor.